Declare before you travel – EU driver posting declarations now required for some journeys in Europe

New EU rules introduced on 2 February mean information on some loaded goods journeys in and between European Member States now need to be registered on a new EU web-based portal before you set off.

If you’re transporting goods between 2 points in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway for commercial purposes (known as cabotage or cross trade), you’ll need to make a “posting declaration”, which means registering the operator, driver, driver employment details, dates of travel, and the vehicle used.

This could be using HGVs, vans or other light goods vehicles of any size, or cars, whether or not you’re towing a trailer. It will apply if you’re moving the goods for hire or reward, or for your own business’ use.

The information you need to sign up and start declaring is available on GOV.UK.

Or, you can access the EU Portal and FAQs now.

Reminder – apply to be a temporary transport manager if you’re running vans to Europe

From 21 May 2022, new EU rules will mean operators or users of vans or other light goods vehicles over 2.5 tonnes and up to 3.5 tonnes in weight that transport goods from the UK into, or through the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein for hire or reward will also need to obtain an International Operators’ Licence.

This will include a requirement to appoint a designated transport manager, so you need to get ready now.

You can use the service on GOV.UK to apply to be recognised as a temporary transport manager if by 20 August 2020, you have had 10 years’ or more experience of managing fleets of vehicles.